- Wireless microphone locations such as sports and entertainment venues may be registered with the database and that spectrum will be considered restricted and unavailable to other wireless services.
- Channels 2-20 will be restricted solely to fixed TVBD use, but may be accessed by portable wireless microphone systems on an "itinerant" basis.
- In 13 major markets, two channels between 21 and 51 will be allocated entirely for wireless microphone operation. TVBD's, fixed and portable, will be completely restricted from operating in these channels.
- Channels 52-69, the so-called "700MHz range" in the UHF band, have been reallocated and either purchased by communications giants such as AT&T, Verizon and Qualcomm or reserved for public safety radio communication (channels 63, 64, 68 and 69). This spectrum is basically off-limits to any television broadcast, or any wireless services other than those provided by the owners. There are no longer any white spaces in this region, according to the definition. After the June 12, 2009 DTV transition deadline any remaining wireless interlopers will be required to vacate the 700-806MHz spectrum entirely, wireless microphones included. Think of squatters being removed from a newly purchased property.
700MHz Trade-in and Retuning Programs
For the benefit of our many wireless customers and to allay any nascent fears and concerns some of you may have, we've included a list of wireless mic manufacturers for whom B&H is a dealer that are offering either trade-in or factory retuning services for 700MHz systems and components.
- SENNHEISER - Follow the link below to the rebate information form. http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/pdfFiles/Pro_700MHz_Range_Rebate.pdf Sennheiser is offering retuning services for their 3000 and 5000 series of wireless systems in the 700MHz band, and tiered rebates for the Evolution Wireless G2 systems in the C range purchased between 1/1/2006 and 12/31/2008. The contact phone number is 860-434-9190. Valid through 12/31/2009, postmarked 12/15/09.
- SHURE - Follow the link below to the rebate information form. http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_us_pro/documents/web_resource/us_pro_700mhz_rebate_r2.pdf Shure is offering a rebate/trade-in program of up to $1000 on new Shure wireless systems and trade-ins of 700MHz systems made by either Shure or other manufacturers and purchased before 2/1/2007. The contact phone number is 800-257-4873. Valid through 5/31/2009.
- AUDIO-TECHNICA - Follow the link below to the rebate information form. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/files/714a05455102e247/700mhz_sub_form.pdf Audio-Technica is offering a rebate/trade-in program for purchases made between 2/1/2009 and 12/31/2009 of new Audio-Technica wireless systems and trade-ins of 700MHz systems made by either Audio-Technica or other manufacturers. The contact phone number is 330-686-2600; refer to the 700MHz trade-in program. Valid through 9/30/2009.
- LECTROSONICS - Follow the link below to the rebate information form. http://www.lectrosonics.com/PressReleases/whitespace/BlockChanges_Exchanges.pdf Lectrosonics is offering an extensive reblocking (retuning) program for their 700MHz systems and components, and a trade-in program for discontinued 700MHz Lectrosonics products made after 2/18/04. Contact the Service Department at 800-821-1121.
- ELECTRO-VOICE - Follow the link below for retuning service information. http://www.electrovoice.com/pressreleases/860.htm Electro-Voice is offering a rebanding (retuning) program for Electro-Voice and Telex 700MHz wireless systems and components. Contact their Customer Service department at 800-553-5992 ext.701.
- AZDEN - Azden is offering accommodation pricing for new Azden systems below the 700MHz range on a "case-by-case" basis. The contact phone number is 800-247-4501.
- SAMSON - After June 12, Samson's repair department will offer 700MHz retuning services as a warranty repair covered by their 3-year warranty program, if applicable according to the date of purchase. The contact phone number is 631-784-2201 or E-mail email@example.com.
We hope that this information helps to resolve any wireless issues you may have, and we'll see you in June after the final DTV transition for another White Spaces Roundup.